Summer time is officially here!
(Well, maybe not “officially” as in actually observing the first day of
summer on the calendar).
But for us, it’s here.
The central California heat is kicking into full gear.
Flip flops are required attire for any and every day.
And our Vitamix is pulling its weight around here
making lots and lots of ice-cold fruit smoothies.
I love that we can make such healthy treats with minimal effort on my part.
Happy kids. Happy mama.
Also, since I’ve been on a no-grain, no-sugar
self-imposed torture kick
for the past few months,
the smoothies have been a lifesaver
for my sugar-craving, chocolate-loving self.
So this, my friends, is the best *healthy* smoothie I’ve ever tasted.
Surprisingly discovered in this little recipe book
checked out from our local library …
It was the first recipe I opened to, the first one I tried,
and I’m seriously having a hard time making anything else.
Did I mention chocolate?
Okay, here’s the recipe …
or Best Chocolate Smoothie Ever
(I double these amounts so I can
save some for later share with the kids)
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk (or milk)
- 4 Medjool dates, pits removed (our Costco has these in a big tub)
- 2-3 Tbsp raw cacao powder (I use regular cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp raw coconut butter or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts or almonds (or do a mix of both if you’re feeling crazy)
- 10-12 drops of liquid stevia (I like the KAL brand – order on Amazon)
- 10 ice cubes (add more if needed to make it thicker)
I could copy all the
unnecessary detailed instructions
from the recipe book,
but I pretty much just throw everything in the Vitamix
and blend till happy.
Let me know if it changes your summer
like it has mine ;)